Grand National Results 2019: Tiger Roll emulates Red Rum with win
2019 Grand National and Aintree Festival Day 3 Results
Tiger Roll is the first horse since Red Rum in the 1970s to retain the Grand National after producing a scintillating round of jumping to win the 2019 edition of the famous Aintree steeplechase.
Gordon Elliott’s charge went off at 4/1 and duly became the shortest-price winner of the Grand National since 11/4 shot Poethlyn 100 years ago in 1919. In truth the nine-year-old’s famous win was never really in doubt.
The Gigginstown-owned charge overcame a small blunder towards the finish to see off gallant challenges from 66/1 chance Magic Of Light and second-favourite Rathvinden in what was ultimately a straightforward 2l win.
His historic victory – also a second in a row for jockey Davy Russell – left punters jumping for joy, although it wasn’t quite as bad as the Coral traders first feared.
PR man David Stevens said, “As expected Tiger Roll was a popular choice throughout the busiest day of the betting year, and in emulating the legendary Red Rum, his victory has left plenty of punters cheering, an outcome reflected in his starting price of 4-1”.
He continued, “However, on the most unique day of our year, there was a tremendous spread of money for many of his National rivals as well, which has softened the blow in terms of the payout, and this historic victory was certainly nowhere near as bad as we had feared in the build up to the race.”
Now Tiger Roll has the hat-trick in his sights. We make him 6/1 to complete the Grand National treble and emulate the legendary Red Rum.
2019 Grand National Day Three Results:
1:45 Gaskells Handicap Hurdle (Grade 3)
Dan Skelton trained a 1-2 in the opening race of the day as Aux Ptits Soins stayed on well under Harry Skelton to edge stablemate Tommy Rapper by 4½l.
1. Aux Ptits Soins (11/1) J: Harry Skelton. T: Dan Skelton.
2. Tommy Rapper (25/1) J: Bridget Andrews. T: Dan Skelton.
3. Keeper Hill (25/1) J: Richard Johnson. T: Warren Greatrex.
Non-Finishers/Fallers: Forza Milan (10/1), Nestor Park (11/1).
2:25 Mersey Novices’ Hurdle (Grade 1)
Favourites Angels Breath and Brewin’upastorm were left licking their wounds as 20/1 shot Reserve Tank took up the lead from three out and stayed on to win under Robbie Power for Coral ambassador Colin Tizzard.
1. Reserve Tank (20/1) J: Robbie Power. T: Colin Tizzard.
2. Brewin’upastorm (100/30) J: Richard Johnson. T: Olly Murphy.
3. Angels Breath (11/4f) J: Nico de Boinville. T: Nicky Henderson
Non-Finishers/Fallers: All nine finished.
Non-Runners: All nine ran.
3:00 Maghull Novices’ Chase (Grade 1)
Ornua made all over 2m for Henry De Bromhead to see off the highly-fancied Us And Them and trainer Joseph O’Brien.
1. Ornua (3/1f) J: Davy Russell. T: Henry De Bromhead.
2. Us And Them (3/1f) J: J J Slevin. T: Joseph O’Brien.
3. Destrier (7/1). J: Harry Skelton. T: Dan Skelton.
Non-Finishers/Fallers: All seven finished.
Non-Runners: All seven ran.
3:40 Ryanair Stayers Hurdle/Liverpool Hurdle (Grade 1)
One of the race’s of the season produced a nail-biting three-way photo finish as If The Cap Fits got up by a neck to nail Roksana and hot favourite Apple’s Jade by a head.
1. If The Cap Fits (7/1) J: Sean Bowen. T: Harry Fry.
2. Roksana (10/1) J: Harry Skelton. T: Dan Skelton.
3. Apple’s Jade (5/6f) J: Jack Kennedy. T: Gordon Elliott.
Non-Finishers/Fallers: Nautical Nitwit (80/1), Sykes (40/1).
Non-Runners: All 15 ran.
4:20 Betway Handicap Chase (Grade 3)
The two top weights battled it out at the finish as Kildisart got up for Ben Pauling ahead of Mister Malarky and Coral ambassador Colin Tizzard. Dan Skelton continued his good day with Oldgrangewood picking up place money in third.
1. Kildisart (8/1) J: Daryl Jacob. T: Ben Pauling.
2. Mister Malarky (11/2) J: Jonjo O’Neill Jr. T: Colin Tizzard.
3. Oldgrangewood (7/1) J: Harry Skelton. T: Dan Skelton.
Non-Finishers/Fallers: Federici (33/1), Smooth Stepper (50/1), Red Giant (28/1), Clondaw Westie (28/1), Touch Kick (15/2), Springtown Lake (10/1), Amaulino (16/1), Reikers Island (22/1).
Non-Runners: All 18 ran.
5:15 Randox Health Grand National 2019 (Grade 3)
1. Tiger Roll (4/1f) J: Davy Russell. T: Gordon Elliott.
2. Magic Of Light (66/1) J: Paddy Kennedy. T: Jessica Harrington.
3. Rathvinden (8/1) J: Ruby Walsh. T: Willie Mullins.
4. Walk In The Mill (25/1) J: James Best. T: Robert Walford.
5. Anibale Fly (10/1) J: Mark Walsh. T: Tony Martin.
6. One For Arthur (25/1) J: Derek Fox. T: Lucinda Russell.
7. Regal Encore (66/1) J: Jonathan Burke. T: Anthony Honeyball.
8. Singlefarmpayment (50/1) J: Paddy Brennan. T: Tom George.
9. Outlander (66/1) J: James Bowen. T: Richard Spencer.
10. Valseur Lido (66/1) J: Rachael Blackmore. T: Henry De Bromhead.
11. Livelovelaugh (25/1) J: David Mullins. T: Willie Mullins.
12. A Toi Phil (50/1) J: Denis O’Regan. T: Gordon Elliott.
13. Bless The Wings (50/1) J: Robbie Dunne. T: Gordon Elliott.
14. Ultragold (50/1) J: Tom George. T: Colin Tizzard.
15. Vieux Lion Rouge (50/1) J: Tom Scudamore. T: David Pipe.
16. Captain Redbeard (66/1) J: Sam Coltherd. T: Stuart Coltherd.
17. Folsom Blue (66/1) J: L P Dempsey. T: Gordon Elliott.
18. Valtor (66/1) J: Daryl Jacob. T: Nicky Henderson.
19. Don Poli (66/1) J: Patrick Mullins. T: Philip Kirby.
Grand National Non-Finishers/Fallers
Ballyoptic (25/1) J: Tom Bellamy. T: Nigel Twiston-Davies.
General Principle (33/1) J: J J Slevin. T: Gordon Elliott.
Vintage Clouds (11/1) J: Danny Cook. T: Sue Smith.
Mala Beach (33/1) J: Jamie Codd. T: Gordon Elliott.
Just A Par (100/1) J: Aidan Coleman. T: James Moffatt.
Tea For Two (25/1) J: Lizzie Kelly. T: Jane Williams.
Warriors Tale (66/1) J: Harry Cobden. T: Paul Nicholls.
Joe Farrell (14/1) J: Adam Wedge. T: Rebecca Curtis.
Go Conquer (33/1) J: Sam Twiston-Davies. T: Nigel Twiston-Davies.
Noble Endeavour (50/1) J: Mark Enright. T: Gordon Elliott.
Minella Rocco (33/1) J: Richie McLernon. T: Jonjo O’Neill.
Dounikos (16/1) J: Jack Kennedy. T: Gordon Elliott.
Step Back (25/1) J: Nico de Boinville. T: Mark Bradstock.
Lake View Lad (14/1) J: Henry Brooke. T: Nick Alexander.
Monbeg Notorious (50/1) J: Sean Bowen. T: Gordon Elliott.
Blow By Blow (66/1) J: Andrew Ring. T: Gordon Elliott.
Ramses De Teillee (20/1) J: David Noonan. T: David Pipe.
Pleasant Company (12/1) J: Paul Townend. T: Willie Mullins.
Jury Duty (10/1) J: Robbie Power. T: Gordon Elliott.
Up For Review (33/1) J: Danny Mullins. T: Willie Mullins
Rock The Kasbah (16/1) J: Richard Johnson. T: Phillip Hobbs.
6:20 Pinsent Masons Handicap Hurdle (Class 2)
Gordon Elliott rounded off a superb day by claiming the final winner of the Festival as Chief Justice got the better of Thistimenextyear by a head.
1. Chief Justice (13/2) J: Jamie Codd. T: Gordon Elliott.
2. Thistimenextyear (6/1) J: Darragh O’Keeffe. T: Richard Spencer.
3. Nietzsche (20/1) J: Danny McMenamin. T: Brian Ellison.
Non-Finishers/Fallers: Havana Hermano (28/1), Fin And Game (25/1), Always Resolute (25/1).
Non-Runners: Al Yours, Kuiper Belt, Normal Norman.
For more horse racing odds click here.
All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing