Rumour Reel: Everton eye Saido Berahino if Lukaku leaves
Robbie Purves | May 16, 2016
As the summer transfer window prepares to be swung open and fans refresh their Twitter timelines in anticipation of their club sealing the signature of a marquee signing, the rumour reel cranks into gear and is already spitting out some rather intriguing gossip.
Everton set sights on Saido if Lukaku leaves?
It seems that Everton are preparing for life without 25-goal frontman Romelu Lukaku. West Bromwich Albion’s Saido Berahino has been linked with a move to Merseyside, if the Toffees’ Belgian striker leaves in search of Champions League football.
Berahino has a year left on his contract and had his troubles with Albion’s hierarchy after they refused to let him leave for Tottenham last summer. The striker was reportedly a target before Everton boss Roberto Martinez was sacked, but is still on the club’s radar.
A fee of £12m is rumoured to be enough to prise the want-away striker from the West Midlands. However, with a new boss incoming, signing the marksman may be a risk with doubts surrounding his attitude and professionalism.
Lukaku has stated many times that he wishes to play for a Champions League team and, with PSG losing Zlatan Ibrahimovic this summer, it is likely the Belgian will be subject to interest from the Parisians.
Munich man to Merseyside?
Bayern Munich man Mario Gotze has failed to make his mark in Bavaria and has been reportedly told he will not be a major component of Carlo Ancelotti’s new side.
The former Borussia Dortmund player has been linked a move that would see him reunited with former Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool. Bayern legend Franz Beckenbauer has now added more fuel to the fire by saying: “I would in his (Gotze’s) place go where I am comfortable and follow in the footsteps of Jurgen Klopp.”
Earlier this month it was reported that the Reds had submitted a €25m bid for the World Cup winner.
Closer to home, the Anfield outfit have been linked with a move for Norwich City winger Nathan Redmond for £10m, but Canaries boss Alex Neil says he won’t have to sell any of his stars as the club prepares to fight for promotion in the Championship.